Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sweden Creek Falls - Buffalo River Area

I have to warn you, this will be a long post!  This weekend I got the opportunity to go on a nature hiking trip with my dad.  We decided to go to Sweden Creek Falls which is right before you get to Boxley Valley near the Buffalo River.  If you've never been to this area, you must go!  It's such a beautiful place.  The first time I went, I felt like I had entered another country; reminds me of the smokey mountains.  You look up and your surrounded by huge mountains and green everywhere!  Not to mention there could be a large herd of Elk crossing the road, headed towards the Buffalo River.  There are endless hiking trails, canoeing, camping, and most of all serenity.
After our stop at the King's River Store (which has tons of good food that's way bad for you!), we were full of sugar and grease and ready to go!  We drove further in and realized that there was tons of snow and ice still on the ground!  It was a winter wonderland!  I couldn't believe how beautiful it was.  It's about 1,000 feet higher than Fayetteville so the weather is always different so be prepared.  As we hiked to the falls, we got to a rock bluff and there were huge icicles about 10 feet tall hanging from it!  It was a bit scary since some of them had already fallen, and others were just about ready to go.  If you get hit by one of those it would be like a boulder falling on you!  We decided to just keep a good pace going the whole way along the bluff to the falls.  Once we got there it was beautiful!  Sweden Falls is an 81 foot tall waterfall!  The only downside is that there are so many trees around it it's kind of hard to photograph.  I think I enjoyed more of the photos I took along the way than the actual falls, but either way it was a fun trip.  Here is our trip in photos!



Sweden Creek Falls




Sweden Creek Falls




Sweden Creek Falls




Sweden Creek Falls





Sweden Creek Falls








Sweden Creek Falls



Icicles




Icicles





Elk in Boxley Valley


No comments:

Post a Comment