Monday, June 8, 2009

Bull Shoals

We have made it back from the wilderness and man is it good to sleep in a real bed again! Those air matresses just aren't the same. But despite a sore back, we had a great trip and Bull Shoals lake was just beautiful. I can not believe how clear the water is up there!! When you look at it in the shallower parts, it almost reminds me of the water in Panama City, Tyndall Air Force Base, where I lived as a child with it's emerald green color.

I have a lot of pictures to share and it's going to be a long post! We stayed in a campground below the dam where there is a lot of good trout fishing, and the river is just beautiful! I have a few pictures of the dam and river from a lookout tower in the town of Bull Shoals.
After fishing, I promised Nathan I would do some videos of him running out the boat. So to grant his wish, there is a whole spread dedicated to the boat. :-) I think he said it got up to 75 mph. Take a look at the video.

On the way out, I begged Nathan to take a short side trip over to Cotter so I could see the Cotter Bridge. The bridge is on the National Register of Historic Places and was built by Marsh Engineering. It is referred to as a marsh concrete rainbow arch bridge. This design was patented by James Marsh in 1912. It was built back in 1930 in an era where engineering was a very respected and honorable profession. When they decided to build a bridge, they went all out. And you can tell, because it is still standing just as strong as ever. I am so amazed at structures, if only I were good at designing them. ;-) I will have to learn under my bestest friend Vong, who is now a Structural Engineer. I'm so proud of you Vong!!
Enjoy the pictures everyone!


View from the Visitors Center



Clear Water!!





Sun Perch we caught. Aren't they so pretty!


"Croaky" the catfish I caught. Yes.. I named him. hehehehe!


Nathan's Brown Bass (or smallmouth)








Cotter Bridge

This is the train tressel we walked down to get a good picture of the bridge. And I was so scared!! The trains still use this track and if he were to come while we were on it...well.. it's a long fall to a shallow 4-6 foot deep river. All in the name of photography!

No comments:

Post a Comment