Sunday, August 11, 2013

Falling Water Falls & Surrounding Areas

Hello everyone!

Welp it's official.  I've decided to try and start blogging again.  This time I think I'll start back doing nature photography to get inspired again and maybe..just maybe start doing "people" photography again.  ;-) So here are a few images from my first trip out in years.  And it shows let me tell you!  I got there and realized I had forgotten my polarizing filter. Then started to think, do I even own a polarizing filter anymore?? I have no idea!  I'll have to go through my gear and restructure a bit to do nature photography again.  It's definitely a different way of thinking than when you shoot people (with a camera I mean. ;-) )

So here are the highlights from my trip with dad. First off we made the statement, lets go straight to Falling Waters, that way we're sure to see it, then we can get sidetracked.  So the first thing we did was get sidetracked at Lake Dardanelle state park.  (of course!) Then we decided we couldn't leave before we saw the lock and dam.  So we went there and I said is that a sandy bank across the river??  UH, YES please! We then proceeded to ask Siri how to get over there.  And after she led us to a dead end, we finally ended up on the other side and I got a sample of sand for my collection.  I love to collect sand and compare the different colors and textures by the way..remember, I'm a nerd. So here is the dam, and a close up of the sand.  Of course any trip to the water isn't complete unless you shoot a Blue Heron.




So after the long side trip, we finally set on our way to Falling Waters.  Well... what do you do when you see a big overlook?  You have to stop!  So we did, but I opted to not take out my camera, and snapped a few with the iphone.  By the way, if you ever get the chance to get out this way, the best time of the year is the fall.  Take highway 7 up towards Pelsor and Sand Gap, and you will see a sign for the Scenic Highway 7 overlook.  It is absolutely stunning in the fall... Anywho.. See I even get sidetracked when I'm writing! Well we finally got there and I couldn't believe there were actually kayakers there going over the falls in their kayaks!  These falls are approximately 10-14 feet tall I would assume, and you won't catch me going over something that tall!  So we watched in amazement as they all went over one at a time.  I didn't really catch anything spectacular since the water level was so high and like I said.. I didn't really have the right gear with me. But here are a few shots of the falls.  Down the road we shot Six Finger Falls, and also a few other locations.  The trip ended at the Richland Creek Camprounds, which by the way are closed right now for remodeling.  I'm hoping to go back this way and explore the Richland Creek area for phase 2.  Well, enjoy!

Falling Water Falls - 8-10-13

Falling Water Falls - 8-10-13

Six Finger Falls

Six Finger Falls

Six Finger Falls




1 comment:

  1. like like
    We need to get you a polarizing filter. It helps in the bright light. But, as you know, the only real cure for the high dynamic range of light is to shoot during the "sweet light" between daybreak and sunrise and also between sunset and dark. You know also what that means....Dad

    ReplyDelete