Thursday, May 7, 2009

Magnlia Falls & The Glory Hole Falls

Rain, rain rain. to most people it is depressing and we're ready for it to stop! But on the bright side, and to a nature photographer that means it's waterfall season! Tuesday, I got the chance to go out with my dad and shoot waterfalls all day. Let me tell you, it's been a while since I was out hiking in the woods. At one time, my dad and I would go almost every weekend somewhere. But Tuesday, he showed me up and was climbing up and down those mountains like a young teenager! My age is starting to show I guess.. or maybe it's the gallons of ice cream I have been eating.. :-D Either way, I'm going to embrace this rain and hopefully go out again next week.

The first place we went was in the Buffalo River Area near Boxley Valley. We hiked about 1 mile to Magnolia Falls, and below this waterfall is Woods Boys Falls. If you hike up to the top of the falls and follow the bluff line around (about 0.6 miles), you come to the top of Stahle Falls. On the way is a nice scenic overlook of the valley and the roar of all of the waterfalls and streams in the area was just amazing! It was beautiful.

Next we drove down the highway about 4 more miles and hiked the trail to the Glory Hole. This is an amazing waterfall and well worth the steep hike down and back up. A draiange path meanders down the mountain and over the years has cut a huge hole in the sandstone rock to create a waterfall. On our way down we met some people from the Audubon Society out of Hot Springs who told us the wild magnolia trees around were called Umbrella Magnolias. Such beautiful trees! Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment